Tuesday 16 September 2014

Birthday Weekends - The Second Half

On Saturday night of the Birthday weekend celebrations it was time to don our glad rags and throw a party.

I went for a monochrome look. These striped trousers were actually my mothers that I adopted. She just used to wear them for lounging around in and named them her 'apartment pants' a la Friends. However I thought they were also perfect for dressing up. They definitely channel the sports luxe trend that's going on right now, with there drawstring waistband and relaxed fit.

(Waistcoat - Topshop Boutique, Top - New Look, Trouser - Stolen from my Mother, Heels - Topshop, Necklace - DKNY)

I added a half tucked in top and a wee waistcoat that just drapes nicely over it all, pulling it all together. Some strapped heels make what could've been overly casual perfectly dressy. Pop on a slick of red lipstick and a gold pendant and you're sorted.

Then the photo shoot began...


We always manage to co-ordinate! I don't know how we do it, but whenever my sisters and I get together for a special occasion we always seem to match and the dress code for this night was monochrome. And how lovely do my sisters look! The view was stunning, as I've already blabbered on about, but it really was perfect. The parentals wanted some photos to document the celebration so we posed and preened in front of the sea as the sun started to go down.

And the most important part of birthdays - presents! We sipped on fizz and squealed in delight as J opened lovely surprises from everyone.

Then it was time to eat!

If you didn't already know my Dad likes to cook up an absolutely amazing feast every now and again. And once more he's done  brilliantly fantastic job. This is were the elasticated waistband came in helpful...

To start we had homemade lobster ravioli that was amazingly delicious. The lobster was so fresh and we'd picked it up that very morning in St Andrews. Next up was a whole load of beef that was cooked to perfection and look at the potatoes, it's like a potato pie! You cook the potatoes on a salt crust and they were amazing. The highlight though was dessert, a dish filled with rich, dreamy chocolate mix just ready for you dip strawberries and meringue in - perfect.

Next came charades that just got more and more ludicrous as the red wine kept flowing...



The next morning after a lie-in the foggy heads headed outside to clear the space between our ears. I wrapped myself up in my big tartan shawl and we all went exploring the coast. We clambered over the rocks and breathed in the sea air. The tide was coming in quite fast as we scrambled along the rocks - with some of us slipping on the seaweed! Once we'd gotten to safer footing we skimmed stones and gazed out across the waves and relaxed.

Soon the sea air had our tummies rumbling again and we went for a wander into Anstruther.


I had packed my go-to cosy knit jumper and yes I know I'm doing a bit of outfit recycling from earlier in the week when we went along to the comedy, but I'll say it once and I'll say it again its perfect for Autumnal dressing! This time I popped on a pair of light was denim jeans and the best black and gold studded boots.

I also recycled elements of Saturdays outfits and made us of my waistcoat and hat again. As I said before I used to be a bit unsure of this waistcoat, but thrown over a jumper with a big woolly scarf on top I think it does actually work. And of course a hat makes all the difference.

(Hat - Forever 21, Waistcoat - River Island, Jumper - Forever 21, Scarf - Primark, Jeans - H&M, Boots - Forever 21)

And what better way to end a birthday weekend than with legendary fish n' chips and Harry Potter - it was perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment