Thursday 29 March 2018

Fashion Uniforms

It's easy to wear the same thing again and again, but sometimes it's nice to switch it up a bit...


We're all guilty of it, clothes we go back to again and again, time after time, our Fashion Uniforms. And there's nothing wrong with this! For me it's anything at all that has a stripe on it, a dash of red lipstick and if it's the weekend, probably a cross-body bag. It's easy, it's comfortable and you don't even have to think about it.

Especially when it comes to work outfits it's easy to take the Mark Zuckerberg approach and wear the same grey t-shirt day in and out, but maybe Zuckerberg isn't as much of a shopper as I am, who knows! With work I do tend to have things that I wear at least once a week or so, but even though these are smart clothes for a particular kind of day I do think it's nice to try new things and different combinations. I feel better when I'm sporting a sparkly new look. Some may mock me for that, but for me it's the ultimate confidence boost and that is certainly not a bad thing.


Look at famous fashion icons. Iris Apfel, she's rarely spotted without some brightly coloured fake fur,  layered statement jewellery and of course, her thick, round spectacles. Kim Kardashian, love her or loathe her, she's definitely got a look. But the other thing is they do also mix it up, changing colours and textures and creating something different every time they step out the door.

For me switching it up is a good thing.


A Saturday morning not that long ago I heaved a huge sigh and thought, you know what, I'm bored of pulling on the same jeans every weekend morning. I'm bored of it and feel it's gotten so samey. So I decided to make more of an effort to wear more skirts. No, this isn't particularly groundbreaking, but even a little change in your Fashion Uniform routine can make you feel so much better.

Just pulling on a skirt instead of the usual denims made me feel more pulled together, like I had got more dressed up for whatever occasion Saturday was going to throw at me.


Of course to make me feel comfortable and confident wearing it I had to keep some of my wardrobe staples in the mix. The stripes on top. The shoes - I know you've seen them a million times before! The scarf, I'm rarely seen without some sort of big scarf draped round me to keep me warm. The cross-body bag. I've actually got quite a collection of these and my Mum is really good at picking them out, so I do try to use a few different ones. I hate the thought of them not fulfilling their handbag purpose in life.

But even just changing one thing and leaving the jeans behind is a bit of a refresh. It gives you a touch of the thrill you get from that new clothes feeling.


Plus I put my hands up - I really like shopping! I enjoy finding new clothes that make me go 'ooooh' and I would feel awful sad if all these pretty new things hung in my wardrobe unworn. On the other hand though I also keep a lot of my clothes and some of my all-time favourite pieces date back years and years. One of the best things is to mix your Fashion Uniform, your wardrobe staples with something different to give you and your outfit a new lease of life.

Now did I just give myself an excuse to go shopping...

x x x

Top - Primark
Skirt - New Look 
Shoes - New Look 
Scarf - H&M
Coat - Primark
Bag - LIU.JO



1 comment:

  1. I'm definitely a girl with a 'fashion uniform' but I do like to shop and mix it up now and again <3

    G is for Gingers xx

    ReplyDelete