Thursday 7 July 2016

REVIEW: The Gannet

If you like food, go here - now!


I'd been aching to try The Gannet for ages. After hearing so many good things about the restaurant in the vibrant, dining destination of Finnieston I was definitely curious to see what the 'award-winning, tipped for big things' spot had to offer!

I was further intrigued after reading the CitizenMag review! They just made it sound so amazing and after visiting I can confirm that you should definitely believe hype!




CitizenMag is a sideline project of CitizenM Hotels and posts reviews of where to eat, drink and generally enjoy yourself in the cities where CitizenM have hotels. It's just a really great way to find out what's going on in different cities. After spying the review of The Gannet and being offered the chance to visit I jumped at the chance! This was definitely a place in Glasgow that I wanted to check out.




The Gannet has a stripped-back urban look with exposed stone and wood details. Named after a cheeky nickname for someone with a large appetite it serves up "a modern take on classical cooking - our menus celebrate the best of Scottish produce, dictated by the rhythms of the British seasons"



We opted for the 'Champagne Sundays' deal, with is quite a bargain I think! Three course for £30 and a glass of something bubbly on arrival - this is how one should spend a Sunday afternoon!

I went for the 'Rabbit anolotti, seared loin, kombucha, pickled baby carrot & radish salad, carrot puree' while the BF went for the 'Stornoway Black Pudding Scotch Duck Egg'.



Mains were 'Borders lamb, confit belly, courgette wrapped shoulder, braised fennel & puree, potato puree, cumin sauce'.


Arriving opposite was the 'Scotch Beef diamond fillet & ox tail, wild mushrooms, pickled onion, watercress puree, bone marrow & beef dripping confit Mayan gold potatoes, short rib sauce'. 





And I just need to take a minute to remember the potato puree - oh my goodness just magnificent.

We had to have pudding of course - how could we not after knowing how amazing the food was! I had the 'Salted caramel fondant, tonka bean ice cream' but also managed a taste of the 'Soft & Crips meringue, highland crowdie ice cream, Perthshire strawberries, strawberry & fermented tea foam." 



Both amazing. Just look at that caramel. It demands attention as it spills out with the touch of a spoon. Please get me more now.



I really loved my trip to The Gannet and I can't sing it's praises enough. The food arrived as poetic and artistic plates, all swirls and furls, a feast for your eyes. But it came across as effortless and wholly unpretentious. You wanted to, needed to, give the beautiful plates of food your whole attention.

Everything was just impeccable. We were given the perfect wine recommendations and the bartender spoke passionately when I asked him about a sweet wine for my dessert, it's so lovely to speak to people who genuinely care and really know what they're talking about. It was also really lovely and relaxed with a laid-back atmosphere, the perfect way to while away an afternoon.

I definitely agree with the CitizenMag when it notes that dining at The Gannet is "total experience". Scotland's food scene is really buzzing and The Gannet is a stop you really shouldn't miss do, you really do savour every bite - I can promise that.


A massive thank you to CitizenMag for inviting me to review and a huge thanks to The Gannet for making the whole foodie experience so amazing - I'll be back!

****This post was in collaboration with CitizenMag, but all mouth-watering views are my own



2 comments: