Monday 20 April 2015

Stripes and Scones

There is simply no better way to waste away an afternoon than feasting on a glorious afternoon tea in surroundings where one simple must refer to me as Lady Marion.



My Mum knows me pretty well. She and my Gran had hatched a plan to treat me to afternoon tea in the more gorgeous antique surroundings - there is really nothing that I could enjoy more. So, after a morning wandering around the pretty town of Bakewell - yes, this is where Bakewell Pudding comes from - and treating ourselves to some extra special treats (keep your eyes peeled!) we jumped in the car and headed through the pretty Derbyshire landscape to Biggin Hall.



I thought it was the perfect opportunity to get my new stripes on and wore my brand spankin' new top. It's such a lovely cut, with a high neck and then almost a-line effect. It looks just perfect teamed with camel and I'm craving a lovely camel trench coat to wear it with, rather than an old, pretty scabby cardigan. Add on coated jeans as a nice alternative to denim and you're good to go.



And what goes perfectly with navy and cream stripes - a splash of red of course! I got this perfect little purse as a present from my Dad you had recently jetted off on a work trip to New York. Doesn't he have good taste?! Purses are something that I always seem to get as a present from my parents and my last one was just beginning to fall apart, so it was ideal timing. I love the bright red as a change from the black or brown coloured purses I've had in the past. It adds a lovely injection of colour to your handbag contents.

Some patent, tasselled brogues....

And pose on the balcony with the daffodils!

(All I'm doing these days is dreaming of my own little balcony that I can fill with flowers and ornate iron chairs and recline on reading books and drinking tea - goals.)



Biggin Hall is hidden away in Derbyshire in the beautiful Peak District. Rolling past the quaint countryside, with tumbling stone walls you almost feel as though you've been transported into a Jane Austen novel and you're on your way to make ideal chit chat with Emma Woodhouse about how unsuitable certain all the gentleman in the area are. The hall itself is of 17th century origin, built in traditional manor-house style and whispers secrets of past grandeur. The style was common in Tudor times and it has a beautiful, old-world charm to it.


We reclined in the elegant sitting room for a while - it was so tranquil, peaceful and relaxing. The garden peeked through the french doors and the antique furniture was more than delightful - despite the musty smell. In fact the hint of musk only added to its glorious authenticity.


I loved the books.

I adore the old style covers and feel like I'm bring let into a secret world with the scribbles on the inside covers gifting the pages to loved one, friends and families from a time gone by.

There was three different choice of afternoon tea and they were actually really reasonably price. We shared The Biggin, while my Gran opted for The Heathcote. Soon tiers of delicious sandwiches and mouth-watering cakes arrived. The lemon drizzle and almond concoction was voted the favourite by my Mum and Gran, but I preferred the gooey, soft brownies - amazing.


It really is a charming place with real character hidden away in the old stone building. I would love to return on a summers days and relax in the gardens. We spend a throughly peaceful afternoon being transported back to a bygone time, just lovely. The beautiful old features - the fireplace, the furniture - were all beautiful and unique, making it a really special place.


Even as we left guests nibbled on cakes and sipped on tea as they played board games in front of a roaring fire - bliss.



Cardigan - Zara
Top - H&M
Jeans - Topshop 
Heeled Brogues - Next
Purse - DKNY 



No comments:

Post a Comment