Friday 29 August 2014

Capital Birthdays

So we trotted back through to the capital city to celebrate a birthday!

I love a wee day trip out and I kept it simple outfit-wise.

Dark skinnies jeans are perfect with a big over-seized tee. I love this one. You can't go wrong with a big comfy black and white t-shirt. Slogan tops are very popular just now and look great in monochrome. I wear this one pretty constantly and although I've had it a while it still doesn't look dated.

I got this red jacket in a bargain sale - £15 down from £85, whoopa! For a while I worried I bought it more for the price than the love, however whenever I do wear it I remember how beaut it really is. The texture is gorgeous and you can tell it's really good quality. A pop of colour is perfect for jazzing up a more simple choice and I love the dark jeans, monochrome and red mixture.

For strolling round under blue skies all day comfy ballet flats are ideal. This pair are a bit old and battered, but they feel like slippers so I can't complain! I also wrapped around a big comfy scarf and popped on my new favourite jewellery piece.

I'd spied this ring in Forever 21 a while ago, but hadn't bought it. However, I was so happy when I went back and it was still there. I love the statement gold and it goes with everything and just adds a bit more interest to any outfit.

Anyhoo, once I was all dolled-up we jumped on the train to Edinburgh to meet the Birthday girl, complete with some delightfully colourful flowers to put a smile on her face.

We wandered round the shops and I squealed in delight when I saw the decorations in Jenners. It's a gorgeous old store as it is and the hanging bluebells just added to the overall charm - aren't they adorable! Once shopping was complete we strolled in the sunshine, admiring the pretty city, until we found the perfect lunch spot.


So we pretty much opted for this restaurant cos the name is so pretty - Angels With Bagpipes - perfect isn't it! It was also beautifully decorated inside and lovely for a Birthday Lunch, so of course we kicked off with a glass of fizz and cheers-ed to many more birthdays to come!

The Seasonal Lunch menu looked delicious and wasn't badly priced either. For starters we couldn't resist the  Moules marinière. They were swimming in the most amazing sauce and we soaked up every last drop with the bread, and they were perfect with a delightfully light rose wine.

Next up my companions went for the pork loin with creamed potato, roasted onion, grain mustard and pancetta. I'm not gonna lie I had a spot of food envy, but the classic fish and chips definitely hit a spot and in the end I was more than happy with my choice.

Bellies filled-up we skipped the dessert option, however a birthday can't go by without a little cake. Our sneaky friend mysteriously disappeared and moments after her return a chocolate mousse arrived complete with a birthday candle and sharing spoon - birthday treats are so much better when shared after all.

A day out isn't complete without some cocktails to wash down lunch. We popped over to Candy Bar + Kitchen, where the cocktail menu is huge and amazing sounding, with a whole load of silly names and thirst-quenching concoctions. To top is all off they were so pretty when the arrived, with the Call Me Maybe even being completed with it's very own call card and we definitely didn't leave an unsuspecting friends digits, oooops....

A massive Happy Birthday and an ideal celebratory day out had by all!


2 comments: